Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Origins of Pop Culture

To me, television is one factor that defines a person's cultural capital. Especially among our generation, television catch phrases and pop culture memories create a catalyst for conversation. They also create a world of generalizations and stereotypes that can negatively affect one's outlook on things. This week, I chose television as my media artifact because I now realize how much of an effect it has had on my life. During my entire freshman year at Babson, I did not have a television. Although it was strange at first, I got used to it after about 2 weeks, and found myself without any serious withdrawal symptoms. The only thing that felt strange was not being able to watch the evening news. In that sense, I felt disconnected from what was happening outside the bubble that is Babson. Now that I do have a tv in my room, I often find myself watching mindless reality television, which has more of an effect on me than I care to think about. Although all of this content enriches my cultural capital, it also creates a narrow minded viewpoint of the world. After reading "The Power of Popular Television: The Case of Cosby" by Justin Lewis, I realize how much you can analyze from a sitcom or reality show. He asks an interesting question, "Have things changed at all in the last 30 years, in the forms of media representation which characterise images of black people and ethnic identities in popular culture?" After reading this question, it made me think of the images that I see on a daily basis on VH1 reality shows. Unfortunately, a lot of black culture that people are exposed to is on television. Most of the images are of rappers and athletes, and African American intellectuals are not very prominent in media settings. This has shaped my culture and way of thinking because I do not want to fit into those stereotypes. One show that comes to mind is The Boondocks, an animated series about a black family on Cartoon Network(Adult Swim). Although the show is very funny, a lot of the subjects on the show deal with racism and negative stereotypes about African Americans. I feel that if more positive images of African Americans were displayed on television, then more young kids would aspire to be like those intellectuals. Until the media changes its portrayal of minorities in a satirical or negative light, the cycle of stereotypical behavior will not end.

An ad for the boondocks, in which the main characters have their mugshots taken. 

5 comments:

  1. You shared many personal experiences that I can identify with. You also did a good job linking with the Cosby article. However, the title seems a bit too ambitious and you select television--a huge subject to deal with in a few hundred words. This makes your article necessarily spread too wide and lack any deep or unique. Maybe next time narrow the subject down, select a particular genre (e.g. reality TV) and a particular time period (in the 2000s). Try to show the extraordinary in the ordinary artifacts.

    b.c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's too bad that there aren't shows like the Cosby Show still around. As Matt pointed out, most shows only cast African Americans to seem "diverse" and non-racist. I for one think it is more racist to purposely cast minorities for things like commercials and TV shows because it shows that race was on the mind of whoever directed it. I'm not saying that all casting directors do this, but I know that some (especially in regard to news stations), hire minority actors for exactly this reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that the depictions of black culture portrayed on television has made you act against falling into the stereotype. I feel that this is the only way society can free itself of these stereotypes, by having individuals making their own decisions on how to act instead of following the crowd. I guess people watch so much TV that these depictions become ingrained in their minds. I bet most people don't even think twice about what they're actually watching and about the different messages their receiving from the media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought of Allie's point, and agree with it as well.

    Second, I love your comment about not having a TV freshman year. It makes a huge difference that can be an oxymoron but noticeably subtle. School distracts you from wasting time in many ways. Also without access to a TV, I noticed myself missing it less than I would have if I could look at a screen I was unable to turn on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with your posting. I noticed it when I was without a TV freshman year and didn't even notice the difference. However, when I'm home all I do is watch TV and catch up on shows. Even shows like the Jersey Shore (which we touched upon last class) portray Italians to be trashy, dumb guidos. I completely agree that racism exists in television. However, what is the solution? Should BET not exist?

    ReplyDelete